As a nonprofit, our primary obligation is to uphold the stated mission of our organization, “providing education and educational resources to the general public concerning the municipal incorporation of the Perdido, Florida community.” Our comment policy is based on the US Department of Commerce Comment Policy, and includes elements commonly found in many nonprofit organizations. Thank you for taking the time to read and understand this policy.
We Are Perdido manages an organizational presence on multiple social media platforms (i.e., Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, etc.) and one or more community-submitted Q&A sections on its website (the Platforms). We are committed to transparency and citizen involvement as part of fulfilling our mission. Public comment sections of the Platforms aim to increase openness and citizen participation in the educational process and the path towards municipal incorporation. We encourage your comments and participation. Your thoughts, ideas, and concerns play a critical role in helping identify questions for research and considerations to address throughout the feasibility study, charter drafting, and legislative process. The goal is an educated populous so registered voters can decide for themselves. As Thomas Jefferson said in his letter to Richard Price, “wherever the people are well informed, they can be trusted with their own government.”
To uphold our organization’s mission and protect our community, there must be guidelines. We want to publish your comments, but we expect conversations to follow the conventions of polite discourse. Therefore, we may delete, hide, or simply not post comments or questions that:
- Contain vulgar language, personal attacks, or offensive terms that target protected classes or political affiliations
- Attack or denigrate any present or past elected official in the United States, any of its states, or local governments
- Include personally identifiable information, or contact information of any kind
- Promote services or products (no commercial links allowed)
- Contain links (If you have a relevant link you believe to be constructive, feel free to message it to us so we can share it as a post.)
- Contain links to other social media groups (Again, if you have a relevant link you believe would be constructive, message us so we can share it as a post.)
- Are far off-topic or unconstructive
- Incite argument rather than spur on polite discourse
- Make unsupported accusations, wild generalizations, or unsubstantiated claims
- Promote political bias or partisan discourse
- Promote commercial websites or services
- Promote any website or forum that engages in, condones, or encourages any of the above
We don’t edit comments to remove objectionable content, so ensure that your comment contains none of the above. Our organization reserves the right to delete or hide any comments containing any of the above-listed items, including those we determine to be spam.
Repeated abuse under this Comment Policy may result in blocking, banning, or hiding the user and some or all of their comments. While there is no formal policy for the reinstatement of such users, you are welcome to contact email@example.com to make your case for reinstatement.
Our Q&A database has grown significantly since the launch of our organization. Often the same question is asked multiple times in different ways, and in different venues. We may edit, summarize, simplify, or combine questions and answers on the same topic for brevity and usability. We will do our best to answer questions, but know the answer you are looking for may be addressed within the answer of another question.
Reporters are asked to send questions directly to firstname.lastname@example.org and refrain from submitting questions as comments on the Platforms. Reporters’ questions will be removed.
We recognize that the internet is a 24/7 medium, and your comments are welcome anytime. We Are Perdido is a nonprofit, volunteer-powered organization focused on research, education, and meeting statutory requirements for the municipal incorporation process. We may not get to your question or comment immediately. Thank you for your understanding and patience.
Again, thank you for taking the time to read this comment policy.
If you have questions about the comment policy or how we apply it, please don’t hesitate to contact us at email@example.com.